View Single Post
Old August 30 2013, 05:14 PM   #450
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen In 2013

60. 20 Feet from Stardom (A)

Morgan Neville's popular documentary about backup singers (largely black female ones) and how they changed music from the 1960s to the 1980s is a really fascinating story. For starters, you learn the range of songs that people like Darlene Love participated on; or Merry Clayton, the female voice on the Rolling Stones' "Gimme Shelter". A number of major musicians, such as Bruce Springsteen, Stevie Wonder, and Mick Jagger put in appearances -- Jagger, in particular, discusses his work with a number of the women featured in the documentary. It touches on topics as diverse as the civil rights movement (and how Love felt about singing on "Sweet Home Alabama", for instance, a song whose politics she found highly disagreeable), and the difficulty of transitioning from being a backup singer to a star, which is as much psychological as anything else. Though it can't help when people like Phil Spector appear to be actively working to screw you over.

Cinema: 21 (+1)
Home Video: 35
Computer: 4

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote