View Single Post
Old August 30 2013, 02:25 PM   #85
Christopher
Writer

Re: Who created M'Ress?

Tina Louise is the one Gilligan cast member who's consistently refused to have anything to do with the series after it ended, apparently feeling it was an embarrassment that damaged her career (although she did participate in a few talk-show cast-reunion episodes and the Gilligan-focused Roseanne episode). In the three revival movies, Ginger was recast as Judith Baldwin in the first two and Constance Forslund in the third -- which was kind of ridiculous, since both actresses were in their early 30s at the time after supposedly having been stranded on the island for over 15 years!

I don't think she's had to "legally fight" to maintain her distance, though. It's pretty much a given, as I said, that an animated series needs an actor's permission to use their likeness. All she had to do was say no. Lou Scheimer's been quoted as saying that they avoided her likeness because she could have sued them if they had, but that doesn't mean there actually was a legal fight. It just means she didn't give permission so they had to redesign the character. Which wasn't that big a deal, not something there would've been a huge legal battle over, since animated shows based on live-action films or TV series frequently redesign the characters. Either they get permission or they don't. It's just part of the business.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote