Old August 29 2013, 11:47 AM   #34
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: 12 Monkeys pilot greenlit by Syfy

Christopher wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Set Harth wrote: View Post
What happened to originality?
Well, in fairness 12 Monkeys is an adaptation of the French short film La Jetee. So something can lack originality and be good.
Rather, it is a complete misunderstanding of the concept to think that "original" means "not based on any preexisting idea." Every story concept is built on earlier ideas to a greater or lesser degree. The originality is in what you do with the concepts.
Yes, I worded that badly. What I meant to say was that just because something isn't based on an original premise or idea doesn't mean that it can't be good; that remakes can often be excellent.

By the same token, whether a 12 Monkeys TV series can work or not isn't about what it's based on or how closely it follows the film. It'll be about the imagination and vision of the people doing the adaptation. And that's the tricky part, because Gilliam's a hard act to follow when it comes to that sort of thing. A series might end up being somewhat more ordinary in tone. Particularly since we've already had a number of TV series or season arcs about characters trying to prevent an apocalyptic future. One would want a 12 Monkeys series to stand out from the pack, at least stylistically, at best conceptually.
That's what I was trying to say with the rest of my original post, when I referred to this project's absence of (among other things) the writing and direction that helped make 12 Monkeys so special.