View Single Post
Old August 29 2013, 07:36 AM   #140
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Re: Scaling the Excelsior Filming Model

Praetor wrote: View Post
Thanks, Bob.

Well, I found two pictures of the top of the Jein version. (You can tell by the fact that the name lettering is not curved like the registry.) I'll post them later, but sufficed to say the bridge dome looks pretty much the same as it does on the larger ILM model. Daaaaaamn.

So even though it appears Jein tried to correct the scale of the model to the official 467 meter size via the window rows, the bridge module still keeps the futzed up, tiny shape.

That leaves us with three choices, as I see it:

1) Scale the ship to the ILM window rows, and ignore the bridge module
2) Scale the ship to the Jein window rows, and ignore the bridge module
3) Scale the ship to the official size, and ignore the bridge module

Sigh.

I may go ahead and try the second choice, for fun. It may end up coinciding with 467 meters.
There's a further possibility, albeit one that requires completely ignoring the MSD at the back of the Enterprise-B bridge - wider deck spacings. Scale it to the tiny bridge module (I think I worked out 777m) and add gaps between decks for machinery etc, while still lining up with window rows. It's how the new movie Enterprise is arranged, going by the 725m size and atrium set, which works out a perfect match for the saucer-rim windows.