View Single Post
Old August 29 2013, 03:19 AM   #298
FKnight
Commander

Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back?

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
NuSpock may even feel that he is honoring the memory of his martyred mother by allowing himself to be more "human" with Uhura this time around . . ..
Yeah.
SPOCK: I feel anger for the one who took mother's life. An anger I cannot control.
SAREK: I believe, as she would say, do not try to.

Of course they were speaking in the first movie of Spock's anger toward Nero, but it's not hard to follow that Spock would take this to heart as far as other emotional contexts.

dub wrote: View Post
My fear is now that they got away with re-using characters and lifting lots of dialogue/situations from previous Trek, and people are spending the money to see it, they'll keep doing that. Apparently a lot of people really love that. I find it extremely corny. No amount of special effects, suspenseful music or action can make Spock shouting "Khannnnn" anything but eye-roll-worthy for me (and all of the other dialogue lifted from TWOK falls into that category for me). A little goes a long way. A quote here or there, fine. Perhaps even cool. But they went totally overboard with it. They milked it dry and continued suckling for good measure. The thing is, I don't mind many aspects of the re-boot. The actors are great. The special effects are incredible. And even though I enjoy joking about it, I liked the lens flares! But the main thing is I just want a great story, and I think STID was almost there. I'd just rather see it without SO many "nods" to previous Trek. But that's just me, and I realize I'm in the minority and everyone loves/hates different things, and yada yada yada, so I'm bracing myself for another over-the-top quote-fest in the third installment.

But to answer the OP - I'm fine with either timeline as long as it's good!
^^ Seriously -- all of the "nods" and lifted dialog blemish an otherwise good movie. It doesn't ruin the movie and I'll watch it again, but the fan service was almost at fanfic levels.
"You have been examined. Your ship must be destroyed. We make assumption you have a deity, or deities, or some such beliefs which comfort you. We therefore grant you ten Earth time periods known as minutes to make preparations."
FKnight is offline   Reply With Quote