View Single Post
Old August 29 2013, 03:00 AM   #128
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Re: Was the Enterprise A actually the Yorktown?

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Since I have to assume that you visited the other two threads I recommended, I now assume that you merely want to test whether I still hold on to my "erroneous" and heretical belief that the TOS Enterprise is not a member of the Constitution Class.
You know me too well sir. That, and I can't help but play devil's advocate.

We saw it on the starship status chart as the starship the farthest from being "complete"!

Greg Jein himself eventually conceded at the end of his treatise that it might be a starship still under construction (perhaps the Defiant?).
Ah, but who knows what "complete" means? Complete could mean repairs, refits, or any number of related in-betweens. It doesn't necessarily have to indicate construction status.

Since it hasn't yet been settled whether the last two digits refer to a construction contract (Jefferies' premise but apparently revised by "NCC-1697") or an arbitrarily assigned contact code, the "00" in "1700" could merely be a placeholder for a yet to be assigned contact number which can turn out to be "00" (Excelsior), "01" (Enterprise), "02" (Oberth) et cetera.
Hm, I have to admit, that could indeed be possible.

No, I'm asserting that Greg Jein, Bjo Trimble and Mike Okuda can't have cake and eat it, too. They wanted us to have starships with a prefix beginning with "16" to be members of the Constitution Class and there these go.

As the first bird and the first ship of the 17th series (Matt Jefferies in perfect sync with the statements of Bob Justman and Whitfield/Roddenberry in The Making of Star Trek) the TOS Enterprise therefore is the first ship of its class, the Enterprise Class.
Reading TMoST, I do have to agree, that's the conclusion I'd draw.

Quite the contrary as I tried to illustrate with the Constitution Class NCC-1701-A in contrast to the Enterprise Class NCC-1701.

We do not know what actually does constitute a difference to distinct the 16th from the 17th design. As you suggested it might have been different warp nacelles or different internal arrangements.

Since Bjo Trimble, Greg Jein and Mike Okuda (TOS-R) insist we saw starships of the 16th design in TOS I won't rule out the possibility these had more cargo container hatches on the engineering hull than the Enterprise. Such a feature wasn't discernible in the VFX footage but upon close examination it would have become very noticable - in-universe, that is.
Ah, now I better understand. I still don't completely agree, but I do understand. If your point is to point out how tenuous the shaky ground connecting Constitution class to NCC-1700, then I do agree, it's shaky. But, Khan (and later Scotty) were both studying schematics for the Constitution class. It could just be coincidence.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote