Ships of the Line 2014 - REVIEWS

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Pixel, May 15, 2013.

1. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Re: Ships of the Line 2014

Great idea! Probably the easiest way is to open a specific thread, something like "Picture the Novelverse!". Do you feel up to it? :bolian:

2. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Someone a few years ago made a thread in Trek Art trying to design the cargo ship from The Buried Age which looked pretty cool, but I think the posted gave up because of the level of nitpickiness from Christopher.

3. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was one of a couple of people who tried working out a design and deck plans for Cleopatra's Needle, the private research vessel captained by Picard in that novel. I'll admit to being severely distractable by other priorities closer to home at the time. It's a project that I want to get back to as time allows. Christopher's "nitpickiness" - both he and I would choose another word for it - was and remains entirely understandable.

I will happily support a novelverse-themed edition of the Ships of the Line Calendar. Hoping it happens in my lifetime...

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Yeah, it's too bad the "design Cleopatra's Needle" pseudo-competition fell by the wayside. I'd still like to see what Mark Rademaker had in mind for it.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd love to see talented fans' ideas of what unseen Treklit ships might look like. The 78+ deck medical supership Recovery, the mile-long Inaieu and the timeship Phoenix (from Recovery, The Wounded Sky and War of the Prophets, respectively) come to mind.

6. DEWLine

Agreed regarding Inaieu!

7. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

How would people like it set up ?

Without wanting to overcomplicate it, there's ships and characters - would you want separate threads ?

How would we separate 'accepted' images such as used on novel covers, Memory Beta stuff or authors sketches from speculative fan produced stuff ?

Should group images by asking people to post on a particular subject (i.e. The Voyager Fleet) before moving onto another topic ?

8. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

I agree with wish to not overcomplicate it. As such, I suggest to focus on the artistic effort rather than imposing limits. Mix it, baby!

9. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

That's two votes for just starting it and leaving it to run - I'm the other one !

I'll await any other comments and probably start a thread sometime in the next 24 hours.

10. DEWLine

You're referring to the design in this thread, I believe?

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd go that way too. I say just let people post whatever they want as long as it comes from the books and isn't too inappropriate.

12. Lego Thrawn

Lego Thrawn Lieutenant Red Shirt

Glad it's finally out... for a while, there was word there wouldn't be a 2014 SotL. Glad they changed their minds! Gonna get mine this week.

13. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

The thread's up - could do with some posts !

14. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Yeah, the Onimaru is one of Madkoifish's designs. You can find on his blog (with lots of eyecandy) here. He does some really stunning ship designs.

Also, June is the Belknap class, a fan design that I believe predates FASA trek products. The only images I can find from the calendar on the web are too small to determine if this is a nuTrek version or not.

15. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder what the original designer of the Belknap-class (which I originally saw in the unlicensed technical manual Ships of the Star Fleet) thinks of another artist making money from a CG rendering of their design? It's not the first time it's appeared in a licensed Trek product - a ship of that class was seen in a DC TNG annual.

16. Doom Shepherd

Doom Shepherd Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As I understand the copyright, Paramount has rights to "all derivative works," which extends to all fanmade designs. So it probably sucks, but there's probably nothing they can legally do about it.

(Came across a similar issue a few years back in a ships forum where two artists were fighting over the "rights" to one's redrawing of the other's original design.)

17. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Hmm... I can only find small images too, but the nacelles appear to be prime-universe ones...

18. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I am not sure the CGI artists are getting paid for their contributions. I'll see if Madkoifish is willing to comment on the subject.

19. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

They are.

20. Leonard Emery

Leonard Emery Cadet Newbie