View Single Post
Old August 29 2013, 01:21 AM   #97
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Re: 'Gravity' (2012) dir. by Alfonso Cuarón 3D sci-fi space thriller

DalekJim wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
I don't like films with bad endings like Open Water (yeah, I know, it's based on a real event, I read the news). What's the point of wasting two hours on a struggle that ends bad? There's no payoff and certainly the path isn't the goal in a film where the path is extremely unpleasant.
An unhappy ending is as valid as a happy one, and often fits the story more. I'd kill to see the original ending of The Magnificent Ambersons.
AMBERSONS intact would be something else. When I think of Robert Wise, even before thinking DAY THE EARTH or TMP, I think, 'this is the jerk who didn't think to save a copy of the original cut!'

And yeah, the endings are fine when they are dramatically valid. Who the hell wants Se7en with Kevin Spacey winding up behind bars as Freeman and Pitt do some bonding and end with a punchline after Gwyneth's funeral?

Now that I've interviewed a bunch of GRAVITY folks, I am even higher on the pic. They're doing the nosoundinspace thing and doing it right, they've got real respect for how things move in that environment and in terms of the tech, what they accomplished on this is nothing short of amazing.

I figured whatever followed CHILDREN OF MEN would suck by comparison, but now I'm not so sure ...
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote