View Single Post
Old August 28 2013, 01:25 AM   #13
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: What Setting Would You Like For The Next Series?

R. Star wrote: View Post
You're comparing the creative writing process or an entire universe setting spanning hundreds of years to... sports? Okay....

Football is a game with set limits and rules. By it's very definition it can't be more, it's not trying to tell a story, it just is. The only rules in Trek are the ones imposed on ourselves. It can be anything. DS9 did just fine even though it wasn't a space ship boldly going. Heck, it's my favorite of the Trek series being the setting forced the writers to get creative and focus more on characterization. It's great to have a new alien of the week, it's even better to learn and explore those aliens of the weeks because you're dealing with them every day.
Football has changed alot over the decades. But the point of the question is: how far can you move away from the core concepts of a TV show and still be considered part of that same universe? Star Trek is Star Trek, it's about exploring the stars, it's right there in the title.

I see lots of interesting ideas in here but why should we be constrained by the Trek universe when there are many wildly talented individuals who are perfectly capable of creating their own distinct universes if given a chance. The title "Star Trek" is starting to seem like a creative crutch.

I simply don't want something shoe-horned into the Star Trek universe for the sake of nostalgia or because of a fanbase that simply can't let go. I want something new.

When I say I want something new, I mean I want something new.