View Single Post
Old August 27 2013, 10:17 PM   #133
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Re: Scaling the Excelsior Filming Model

blssdwlf wrote: View Post
I took it that "Threshold" established Transwarp flight to be anything above the top speed of warp drive all the way up to the barrier. When Paris engaged the Transwarp drive, he still had some acceleration to go before hitting the barrier so he was flying at Transwarp at the time. He just pushed it all the way up to the barrier. In the same sense, "Descent" showed that the Borg Transwarp "Conduits" accelerated ships in it to speeds many times faster than their fastest warp drive. They both are operating at Transwarp speeds.

The "barrier" or "threshold" would technically be going faster than Transwarp. I guess Janeway's commendation should've been instead, "Regardless of the outcome, you did break the Transwarp Barrier" or something like that.
That works for me.

blssdwlf wrote: View Post
The difference between the Excelsior and "Threshold" could be that in TSFS they lacked a sufficiently stable dilithium crystal.
PARIS: We discovered a new form of dilithium in the asteroid field we surveyed last month. It remains stable at a much higher warp frequency.
So it would seem you need better dilithium and reinforcement of the hull so it doesn't fly apart and a fast warp drive plus a Transwarp drive. Perhaps they just built a shuttle-sized Transwarp drive from the Excelsior's blueprints?

Conduits you just need possibly a Transwarp coil, better deflectors and a conduit?
That... makes perfect sense. I guess I'll need to decide what the transwarp element actually would be in the nacelles... unless it's just "changing gears" in the nacelles, somehow.

Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post
In which case it might be as simple as "transwarp drive" being "Any warp drive capable of exceeding warp nine."

It seems a conventional warp drive overclocked to the point of almost destroying itself could do this too (see Babel and That Which Survives) but a specifically named "transwarp" drive is a drive system that can do this as a matter of course. This would be the difference between, say, a jet aircraft that can achieve supersonic speed in a dive (e.g. F-86 Saber) and an aircraft that can do it in level flight (e.g. F-100 Super Saber).
I like it.

I've started thinking - just like the original Enterprise and Enterprise-D are not truly represented by one model, neither is the Excelsior. The dozens of CGI Excelsiors were based on the Jein model, after all - a fact which escaped me when I formulated my original premise and chose to ignore it.

The real goal of this thread was to find if the Excelsior might be a different size than what has been established, as it affects me going forward with my TM project.The preponderance of evidence may simply make it easier to keep the ship at 467 meters.

I'm going to try scaling the Jein model as best I can and see what I come up with. I'm hoping Mr. Jein used a "corrected" bridge dome size on the model, much as he corrected the window rows to better fit a 467 meter size. I'm somewhat afraid if I pull at this thread, I might wind up rescaling every ship whose size is not canonically known... and that's something I just am not prepared to do.

Does anyone have a top view of the Jein Excelsior?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q

Last edited by Praetor; August 27 2013 at 10:57 PM.
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote