View Single Post
Old August 27 2013, 05:34 PM   #131
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Re: Scaling the Excelsior Filming Model

Timo wrote: View Post
But we don't know if "transwarp" is the name of the technology itself or the scientific concept it makes use of.
Trying to argue that the scientific concept behind the various Borg drives is one and the same is pretty futile already, as they behave so differently.
Why would you expect them to behave the same? "The normal subspace limitations don't apply" is vague at best, since many of those limitations may or may not have anything to do with speed. As with transonic fuel injection: an internal combustion engine doesn't behave anything like a supersonic aircraft, even if they use the same principal in their design.

That the Excelsior drive would be part of the same family...
It's not. It's a drive that uses transwarp physics to enhance the performance of a conventional warp drive in some significant way. Borg transwarp conduits also use transwarp physics, but they obviously apply it in a different way and are thus a totally different drive system.

In "Descent", transwarp conduit is accepted as the name for a system...
No, it's accepted as the name of a STRUCTURE through which the Enterprise traveled. As far as we can tell, there isn't an enormous difference between a transwarp conduit and a wormhole, except the former is implies transwarp physics and the latter uses relativistic physics.

But obviously there's warp involved, or people would die of old age while hopping from planet to planet!
Do people age during beaming?

Anyway, when Scotty describes what he did with the beagle (namely, interplanetary beaming in the Earth to Mars category), he isn't describing what he thinks was possible with transwarp beaming - he's describing what he thinks was easy with transwarp beaming. His real aims appear to be much higher.
SCOTTY: I had a little debate with my instructor on the issue of relativistic physics and how it pertains to subspace travel. He seemed to think that the range of transporting something like a, like a grapefruit, was limited to about a hundred miles. I told him that I could not only beam a grapefruit from one planet to the adjacent planet in the same system, which is easy by the way, I could do it with a lifeform. So, I tested it on Admiral Archer's prized beagle.

Beaming a grapefruit is easy. Beaming a Beagle is hard. And Scotty's point appears to be that transwarp physics would allow for a transporter system to bypass the normal limitations of relativity.

Excellent point! Although your idea only means that Scotty's transporter ideas and the Excelsior drive are related, not that the other examples of transwarp drive would be part of the same family.
They're definitely not part of the same family. But the same scientific concepts almost certainly apply to both.

During the failed attempt to reach transwarp, the computer announces: "Transwarp Drive maximum velocity in five, four, three, two, one." The fact that such a notification would be given indicates that speeds, or at least certain speeds, will have SOME interval of acceleration and will not be achieved instantly.
Umm, the countdown is conducted while the ship is essentially immobile. So it could easily mean that at zero, the ship jumps from standstill to "transwarp drive maximum velocity" instantaneously.
Or that their computer drive was so screwed up by Scotty's sabotage that it had no idea what the hell was going on.