View Single Post
Old August 27 2013, 03:45 AM   #30
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Re: Making a Star Trek series that fits in with today's TV landscape

It's possible to do story and character arcs without resorting to Lost-style serialization that makes it impossible for the show to have decent pacing if you watch it on a week to week basis. Just have a complete story (beginning, middle, and end) in the episode, change the status quo at the end, and write future episodes with that changed status quo in mind. I'm not exactly sure what model/example of serialization that would best fit under (Mad Men, I guess), but it worked pretty well in Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis.

Other than that, all the stuff I mentioned in this article applies too. Also, I'd like a show that managed to not fall into the "competence and pragmatism = evil" trap that most of the TNG-era and Trek Lit stuff seems to. I know Roddenberry wanted Trek to be an optimistic future, but that doesn't mean the good guys in that future act like they've tossed their common sense and critical thinking abilities into a black hole.