View Single Post
Old August 27 2013, 01:12 AM   #68
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Re: How do you feel about Torchwood Miracle Day

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
The problem, as I see it, is that RTD didn't understand why Children of Earth worked, so when he was asked to do something like CoE but bigger, he didn't know how to do it.

From the little that The Writer's Tale (second edition) covers the writing of Children of Earth, it's clear that CoE was a happy accident that worked in spite of RTD (who didn't have a clear vision of what he wanted to do and didn't understand how the story would work) and not because of him. Which is kind of ironic, in that I believe that CoE is the best thing RTD ever did in the Whoniverse and outclasses anything he did on the mothership.

So I think with Miracle Day he was trying to emulate CoE's success without understanding why it was successful.
Interesting idea. I wonder if maybe it goes even further and explains why Torchwood was such a mess, maybe no one had a handle on the show right from the get go.

For all it's flaws I thought TW had its moments and CoE really grabbed you but MD was the pits. I kept trying to convince myself it was at least worth watching forcing myself to complete it but alas...
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote