View Single Post
Old August 26 2013, 06:48 PM   #23
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago
Re: "Second Chances" and its disturbing implications

Timo wrote: View Post
But there might be legal issues there, or moral ones not yet written into law. Tuvix was an opposite case, a viable and stable merger of two people, and there existed an obligation to restore the two people, as per 24th century morals and perhaps laws as well. Possibly such morals stem from the same thing as the 24th century deep hatred towards cloning or other duplication. Nevertheless, nobody suggests merging the two Rikers... Say, averaging their minds (the necessary transfer technologies are known to exist in other Trek episodes) and killing one of the bodies.

Timo Saloniemi
This seems a bit unlikely to me given that the EMH flat-out refused to perform the procedure to split Tuvix. If there was such a legal obligation why would he object?

I also think it may not have been a case of 24th century morals so much as the morals of the only people who were around to weigh in with an opinion. Or even a mix of Janeway's morals and Starfleet training/protocol, i.e. "You do what the Captain says."
DonIago is online now   Reply With Quote