View Single Post
Old August 26 2013, 05:12 AM   #24
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: Making a Star Trek series that fits in with today's TV landscape

The Overlord wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Which of course, doesn't really matter as far as ratings go. While critical praise and spotlighting in a few magazines are nice, networks tend to look at how many people are actually watching their shows. In that regard, the serialized format is definitely not the only way to go since episodic shows are still very popular with today's audiences. In fact, there is no indication whatsoever that they've ever stopped being very popular.

I would say how much people care about a show is equal to how many people tune in to see it each week. In that capacity, you're going have to flip that statement around.
Except NCIS and Law Order are on networks that every one gets, while Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad are on cable channels that not everyone gets, of course the ratings are not the same.
It's way more than that. Those shows are just more popular too (they get big ratings in second-run syndication too). You do have a lot of people that simply aren't into serialized shows, they just want to tune into a show without having to keep track of everything that happened since the first episode.
Besides what is the likely of Star Trek showing up on network TV rather then cable TV at this point, it seems cable TV is better able to serve niche programming then network programming does and right now sci fi programming is niche.
The exclusive premium cable is like that, but non-premium cable is increasingly like broadcast television and I believe that any new Trek series will be there in order to get the biggest possible audience rather than a smaller one.
I really think making a Star trek series that is purely episodic would be a step backwards at this point.
That may be your opinion, but it's not one that everyone shares. The Star Trek format is actually ideally suited for the episodic format. That doesn't mean that there can't be story and character arcs along the way, but I doubt we'll see a Trek series where every episode is connected to the one before.