Thread: Ancient Aliens
View Single Post
Old August 25 2013, 08:22 PM   #604
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: Ancient Aliens

Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
Facts are facts, when you don't require space, food and fuel for humans, the trip becomes easier, cheaper and faster. Arguing otherwise seems ludicrous.
The easiest, cheapest and fastest spaceflight in the world is the one that never leaves the planning stages. You haven't provided a coherent reason yet why any mission more expensive than that would be beneficial to anyone.

When you amplify it out to galaxy exploration, the benefits become clear.
There wouldn't BE any benefits in that case since the people who launch the probe will have entered the fossil record by the time the probe gets anywhere interesting, and their evolutionary descendants will join them by the time anyone on Earth finds out about it, assuming they ever do.

I don't believe there is a single scientist who'd agree with your position.
The position that seeding the universe with human DNA on million-year-long fully automated spaceflights has no concrete scientific or monetary value to anyone currently alive or likely to be alive within the next thousand years?

I think I'll let the scientists speak for themselves on this one.

I'll still say it's almost inevitable this is the way to explore the galaxy.
It isn't, because we're not going to explore the galaxy until we're finished exploring our own solar system IF THEN. We'll have human beings born and raised on space colonies out to ten generations before exploring the galaxy becomes anything more than a sci-fi pipe dream. Otherwise, you're basically in the position of a Polynesian fisherman proposing a moon mission using a canoe strapped to a hot air balloon.
I posted this about a month ago on here somewhere. Look under: "It's Easier for Aliens to Visit than previously thought

http://davidbrin.blogspot.com/2013/0...obes-plus.html

There is also the video I posted here from a lecture which suggested a similar timeframe to seeding other galaxies as it is to seed this one.