View Single Post
Old August 25 2013, 06:43 PM   #304
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

Re: Kate Mulgrew - Orange is the New black

CAN'T FIX CRAZY... continued

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death, but the valiant taste of death but once..." William Shakespeare "Julius Caesar"

“The coward dies a thousand deaths, the brave but one'.... (The man who first said that) was probably a coward.... He knew a great deal about cowards but nothing about the brave. The brave dies perhaps two thousand deaths if he's intelligent. He simply doesn't mention them.” Earnest Hemmingway "Farewell To Arms".

Speaking of..."Will she EVER learn?"... the recently rebuffed Piper is sitting in the prison library, reading about her RIGHTS as her lover walks in.

There are so many ways to explain/excuse what Piper has done/plans to do at this point... but as far as I'm concerned, they don't matter.

Parental "conditioning" to be the perfect Stepford wife, fear of societal ostracism from living an alternative lifestyle with another Ex-con, the inability to give up the dream of "babies and remodeled bathrooms" for an uncertain future with 3 strangers in drag... it doesn't matter.

Eventually one has to stand up and embrace what THEY believe in, what they want and be PROUD to do so.

Living an "authentic life' has nothing to do with shopping at Whole Foods, using canvas bags instead of plastic, colonic cleanses, or even being "well read".

It has everything to do with "say what you mean" and "do what you say."

Something this 32 year old woman has yet to say/do with the one other person in this world she's been truly intimate with in years.

Alex enters the library, smiling.

Alex: Well, if it isn't the invisible woman. (she sits down at Piper's table) One
intense talk about the future... you disappear on me.

(She's still smiling. Obviously Healy hasn't talked with her yet. She continues to tease.)

Alex: Not a shocker but... I had gotten my hopes up.

(Alex smiles at the end of her "opening banter" as she awaits Piper's return volley.)

(Piper looks up from the book. She's NOT smiling.)

Piper: (Very flat voice) I'm getting married.
Alex: (Alex's smile has faded) You've been getting married since before you got here. (soft snort) This is not news.

(Look at Alex's face. She knows. She knows but she isn't going to make it easier on Piper by guessing. She's going to MAKE this woman act like an ADULT and tell Alex to her face. After all they've been through... Alex deserved to be told. Told before Healy. Told before the Blooms. Anything less showed a callous disregard for the person who held Piper so many times this month as the imprisoned debutante cried.)

Alex: (She has mentally "girded her loins") Say what you really mean.
Piper. I pick him. I pick Larry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlYJXZDNQdA

(I am the first to defend Piper in the breakup in Paris, when she left Alex and her drug runner ways for life back home. I defended Piper even when that meant she would be leaving Alex when Alex needed a friend "the most"... because her mother had just died. I defended Piper because they WERE NO LONGER FRIENDS... and anything less than a complete break would have been a lie.

Alex didn't understand it then... didn't think it was fair then... but she understands it now.)

Alex: Yes. You have made a decision. So here is what it means going forward. You may not come running to me again. Not with your problems... Not with your love... Not with your need, or sadness, or anger... or even your laundry when its not specifically your laundry day.

(Alex is getting revved up with her own quiet, righteous anger.)

Alex: You may NEVER come to me again.

(She stares Piper down.)

Alex: EVER.

And with that...

Alex stood up and bravely walked out of the library leaving a forlorn, cowardly Piper behind.

Alex was right.

And if Alex had just "left things" like that... it would have been the perfect bookend to their long ago breakup in Paris.

Alas...