View Single Post
Old August 25 2013, 06:00 PM   #105
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

Re: Moffat Talks 13th, sorry, 12th Doctor

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Konata Izumi wrote: View Post
The killing matters to Amy though, as she remembers everything relevant to it in both realities. The unhappening just makes it feel a bit less evil.
I get where you're coming from.

Amy (and the audience) gets the emotional satisfaction that comes from Amy murdering Madame Kovarian, but without the guilt since it didn't really happen and no one actually died.

But that's a problem. It's a cheat resolution in the classic Marvel Comics sense. The story does something that looks significant, but then it wipes it away and everything is back to normal. I don't know if Moffat designed the story deliberately so that ultimately Amy is stainless, but it takes something away from the story when it lacks the conviction to actually grapple with its own implications.
First, Amy didn't kill Kovarian, the Silence did with their booby-trapped eyepatches. Amy just fixed Kovarians', since it fell off.

Secondly, at the time, Amy only remembered bits of the "real" timeline. But in the episode, she was fighting the Silence and Kovarian for a while. Kovarian was the enemy.

That Amy remembered that aborted timeline is unfortunate, but it did not happen. What she has to realize, if she hasn't yet, is that it was part of that reality and part of her war.