View Single Post
Old August 25 2013, 05:54 PM   #292
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back?

T'Girl wrote: View Post
ComicGuy89 wrote: View Post
Star Trek Online, due to its massive scale, has done more changes to the prime timeline than any other expanded universe material.
Do you know if ST Online has on their site a synopsis of their timeline/history? I tried to find one once (didn't look to hard), but couldn't.
http://www.stowiki.org/Path_to_2409
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
If TPTB were to ressurrect the Prime universe, I'd prefer they used the novelverse's post-Nemesis backstory, which is far truer to the spirit of the shows and movies.
There's something about that that I wonder about. As I understand it, one of the reasons that TPTB created the character of Tom Paris, instead of simply using the character of Nicholas Locarno, was they didn't want to pay the original writer/creator of Nicholas Locarno everytime they used the character.

If a new series employ large numbers of characters and situations from the novels, would CBS then have to compensate the novels authors for their ideas, or does CBS now own all those ideas after paying the authors for their novels?

Intellectual property.

This question was raised a while back concerning a possible Titan TV series, who "owns" Christine Vale?

The tie-in writers operate under different rules to the TV writers. Anything they create in the Trek universe is property of CBS. Vonda McIntyre (Enterprise: The First Adventure) and Diane Carey (Final Frontier, Best Destiny) named and developed George Kirk, yet AFAIK, neither got a penny from Paramount or CBS when a version of George Kirk cropped up in JJ's first Star Trek.