View Single Post
Old August 25 2013, 05:17 PM   #45
cultcross
Say my name...

Re: Poll: Would you prefer to see a movie in 3D or 2D?

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
Argus Skyhawk wrote: View Post
I was interested in a passage from this article indicating that 3D is losing popularity:
The dew is plainly off the 3D rose, at least domestically, and that's bad news for the studios, which have come to count on the $2-$3 surcharges the format brings. The 3D showings of "Turbo" accounted for just 25 percent of its total box office, which represents the format's worst showing yet, and 3D contributed 30 percent of the $53 million opening of "The Wolverine," a new low point for action releases. 'Monsters University" (31 percent) and "World War Z" (34 percent) similarly sputtered. It's still working overseas, but you have to wonder how long that will last as foreign audiences become more sophisticated.
I'll admit the 3D fad has lasted a lot longer than I originally expected, but it still seems to be just a fad.
That last bit is more than a tad patronising about "foreign" audiences. I know over here, at least, they've been pushing 3D hard, putting 2D showings on at difficult times, so the main times when audiences will show up the only version on offer is the 3D version. Couple of films with 1 early showing in 2D per day and 3D the rest of the day.
Yeah that irritates me - and it's been used to artificially inflate the uptake of 3D in the UK as it will be reported that, say, 60% of cinema goers 'chose' the 3D version with all the information about showtimes and number of screenings stripped away.