View Single Post
Old August 25 2013, 06:26 AM   #16
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Re: Spoilers in Books: A Discussion.

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I'd slap a one-year-from-time-of-publication time limit rule on mandatory spoiler tagging.
That's fair. Sometimes it takes awhile for a book to make it to smaller cities, especially ones with very few bookstores. And not everyone can afford to run out and buy new books every month.

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
It's hard to make a general rule of thumb.

A problem that will sometimes happen on TrekBBS is where a reader will ask about a particular older title, or mention that they are about to read it for the first time, and someone will chime in with a massive spoiler before that newbie had a chance to read it. Then there will be outcry and sympathy, and the public defense is usually "But it's been out for decades!"

Similarly, some novels have crucial spoilers that don't necessarily sound like spoilers, and it can be dangerous for people who haven't actually read those books to discuss them without innocently revealing things they've "heard".
There was a time in my life when I could barely afford food, let alone new books (or even used ones). Therefore, there are 10-12 years' worth of Star Trek novels I missed out on. I've since managed to acquire some of those, but by no means all. And since this "novelverse" thing started, I've never been able to catch up.

That's why I don't frequent this forum very often. Most of the time people are talking about books I haven't managed to find, or haven't read yet, or didn't even know they existed. I hate spoilers.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote