View Single Post
Old August 25 2013, 05:55 AM   #15
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: Making a Star Trek series that fits in with today's TV landscape

The Overlord wrote: View Post
Carcazoid wrote: View Post
I'm looking at this from my own perspective, the only one I have.

Watching tv is not a priority in our lives. My wife and I work a lot of hours, and keeping up with a series is hard to do. Most of the shows we like are in reruns, because we missed them in first run.

I've spent more time online today than I have in the last month, and that's because I'm at a standstill in other things.

It's hard to follow a serialized show with all the other things going on. My preference is to watch a bottle show with characters I like, so I don't have to try to keep up with a season long arc.

Some series can do it that way, and others can't.

Take Monk, for example. If you know the premise, you can watch any episode in any order, and it's ok. You don't have to know that last week Adrian had a cold and only got out of bed to save Natalie from a killer to know that in the next episode he would rescue his brother from a poisoned Halloween candy bar.

I prefer to watch episodes of my favorite shows that don't need a setup. I can fill in the blanks myself, and if I was wrong it just makes it that much more fun.
A show cannot revolve around the needs of one or two fans, it has to reach a wide audience and I think today's audience likes shows with ongoing stories.
Actually today's audience likes either shows with ongoing stories or shows with single-episode stories. It's definitely not a case of the former being more popular than the latter since the latter is actually more prevalent on U.S. television. Don't get me wrong, there are indeed very successful shows with ongoing story/soap opera formats, but they are not the only kind of shows that are successful, and they do appeal a wide audience today.