View Single Post
Old August 24 2013, 07:48 PM   #7
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Re: Making a Star Trek series that fits in with today's TV landscape

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
I think it would fit in fine as a series that has a mix of single- and multi-episode stories as well as a mix of action, drama, with occasional moments of humor, horror, and tragedy. It can be frequently serious, but also frequently fun. On thing I don't think it should be is something that's dark, dreary, and filled with self-serving, sex-crazed, or petty a-hole characters--that kind of stuff can be done in moderation, but I think the core of Trek is a future that we'd like to be in rather than not with different aspects that appeal to both adults and even kids.

I also think it should treat continuity rather vaguely and avoid too many specific references to past events. More attention should be on what's currently happening in the series rather than what happened in previous ones.
So basically an updated version of TOS. Works for me.

RandyS wrote: View Post
Then I think you're doomed to be sad. Today's TV is all about depression, depressing characters and angst.

Words like "optimism" and "hope", and even "happy" mean nothing anymore. Anything like that is mistakenly written off as "campy".
And what exactly do you base that off of?
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote