View Single Post
Old August 24 2013, 05:03 PM   #4
Toxteth O´Grady
Captain

Re: Smart/cellphones And Modern Life..

I noticed in the comments of that video that a lot of people are showing pride at either not owning a cell phone at all, or they still own their flip phone from 10 years ago.

To me, the problem doesn't have anything to do with that. I have owned a smart phone for the past 2 years. Love it and get a lot out of it, but I never have it out when I'm with company. I remember one time I was with three or four other people, all family, and at one point all of them were looking down at their phones. Like the woman in the video, the socialization just stopped and I was left sitting there in silence. It doesn't happen often, but it does get irritating when it does.

I think my older brother has an addiction. I see him checking his phone more than anybody else I know. I work with him and my other brothers at our dad's business and he is constantly getting texts. For some reason he doesn't want to put his damn phone on vibrate, so we all have to hear his ringtone every 5-10 minutes when he gets a new text.

We get together every week to watch TV shows, and every time there is a pause in between episodes he whips out his phone and plays a little bit of a game. The pause usually lasts under 2 minutes so I'm just wondering why is that pause so unbearable that you NEED to do something during that time? He's in his late 30s so he knew a time when cell phones didn't exist. I'm just surprised when I see older people glued to their phones.
Toxteth O´Grady is offline   Reply With Quote