View Single Post
Old August 24 2013, 04:05 AM   #41
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Re: Has "NCC" Ever Been Explained On Screen?

Lance wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
All the ships in the "Court-Martial" repair chart have been subsequently interpreted as Connies (first by Greg Jein, then by the ST Encyclopedia which copied Jein's list), but I doubt that was the original intent. Given that there were only supposed to be a dozen Connies in the fleet, it's vanishingly unlikely that ten of them were under repair at the same starbase at the same time. Plus, we know that Jefferies intended "1701" to mean the first vessel of the 17th ship class, so numbers like "NCC-1831" and "NCC-1672" on the chart would've represented different classes by Jefferies's thinking. So I think the intent probably was that those various NCC numbers applied to ships of various different classes. Thus, there would have been no change in intent in TAS and after.
I'd never heard that before, but I like it. That'd mean by the original thinking the Connies should have all been 1701-1712. Of course, the USS Constellation was an error (I never understood why they didn't rearrange the registry number to read NCC-1710).
Someone on the board, I don't know who, floated the idea that the Constellation was an upgrade of an earlier class. Just as the Enterprise in TMP was refitted while retaining her registry number verbatim, the idea here is that so was the Constellation. But since the Constellation was evidently not the class ship, we would assume that the upgrade happened after the 17xx class was already established.

This proposal might not necessarily be at odds with Jefferies's intended system, since there could be significant differences between the hypothetically refit NCC-1017 and new ships in the 17xx class.