View Single Post
Old August 23 2013, 11:23 PM   #129
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile
Re: Oberth Class the missing link between Enterprise and Reliant

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Tomalak wrote: View Post
Sorry, but it's bonkers to suggest ILM were designing "retro" ships to make fans think they were filming a prequel.
Huuh?!?...Who gave you that idea? I was merely speculating that the guys at ILM may have been designing models for what they thought would be a prequel until Nimoy and Bennett told them it would be a sequel.
Mate, these guys aren't sitting around waiting for the phone to ring from Harve Bennett. They are highly unlikely to have started work before the deal was in place and they had been told what they had to design.

I also don't get where this whole prequel idea comes from. Maybe that was a rumour going around in fan circles at the time? ILM would have been given a script, or at least a list of stuff they needed to design: spacedock, a futuristic starship, a new Klingon ship, a merchant ship and a Federation science ship.

Given those parameters, I don't see why you think they might have taken it upon themselves to design original series era stuff. It's just wild speculation, with absolutely no evidence, which fits in with your idea that the Grissom was an old ship.