View Single Post
Old August 23 2013, 10:12 PM   #102
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Re: The Reality of Star Trek

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
But the one thing I don't have to guess is that it's obvious you did not know the context of that statement and were just trying to be - sarcastic

"It was Communion time where you eat this wafer and you are eating the body of Christ and drinking His blood. My first impression was "Jesus Christ! This is a bunch of cannibals they've put me down among!" For some time I puzzled over this and puzzled over why they were saying these things, because the connection between what they were saying and reality was very tenuous. How the hell did Jesus become something to be eaten?"

Star Trek Creator by David Alexander (introduction by Majel Barrett Roddenberry), page 37

Gene Roddenbery continues how this was the crucial point in his life that made it "clear" to him "that religion was largely nonsense."

Obviously symbolism was a concept completely alien to him, therefore I find this kind of hilarious misinterpretation rather sad.

Bob
Actually, a whole bunch of denominations do believe it actually becomes the body of Christ, while retaining all the physical characteristic of bread. Catholic and Orthodox Churches, for example.

It's quite obvious Roddenberry was speaking sarcastically: he didn't actually believe there were eating the body of a man, he just highlighted the absurdity of such fantastic claims without any evidences, and that was one of the things that pushed him to realize that "religions were largely nonsense".

What is rather hilarious is that you completely missed his point, and went on ranting about how he missed the point.