View Single Post
Old August 22 2013, 03:43 PM   #35
DWF
Vice Admiral

Re: Moffat Talks 13th, sorry, 12th Doctor

StCoop wrote: View Post
The problem for the Sixth Doctor is that it didn't matter what the intentions for the character were since the end result was someone a large part of the audience didn't like. (And whom the stupider elements still blame for the faults of his time; as if he somehow was responsible for everything from the scripts to the studio lights being turned up far too bright to generate any atmosphere.)

Colin Baker has in fact become my favourite Classic Series Doctor but that's purely down to Big Finish giving him a version of Sixey to play that's actually likable. (While still being bombastic and a bit of a know-it-all.) Just listen to "The Wrong Doctors" where he gets to play both versions and you'll hear the difference. (Actually listen to it regardless, it's bloody brilliant.)
The audience at the time were changing channels to watch The A-Team, it was IMO a bad decision to change the format of Doctor Who at that point in time. And really the sixth and seventh Doctors should have been thought out a bit more beforehand. And at least to my mind it takes more than one season for the writers to understand the new Dcotor and write good stories for him.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote