View Single Post
Old August 22 2013, 08:37 AM   #23
Starkers
Admiral

Re: Moffat Talks 13th, sorry, 12th Doctor

I’m amused that Moffat makes specific reference to Tom, yet people are seeing Colin in the description. Surely what Moffat is saying is that Capldi will be very different to Smith, and might not be as instantly engaging, which I think is likely given the difference in the actors. I think the only thing that worries me is that he’s putting a lot on Clara’s shoulders. Sarah Jane and the Brigadier were well established characters, whereas I feel we still haven’t seen the real Clara.

For me the trouble with Six is not that he wasn’t like the other Doctors, it was that he seemed to take all the somewhat negative aspects of them and dial it up to 11 with no real redeeming features.

He was cantankerous, well so was Davison, Hartnell and others, but with Five his cantankerous was offset by a gentle nature and the fact that he so often didn’t seem in control of the situation, he was never arrogant, or if he was he never seemed to really believe he was the smartest man in the room.

By contrast Six was arrogant in the extreme, and whilst you could say other Doctors had been (take Pertwee) often this was offset somewhat. Pertwee could be arrogant and cantankerous but he was also quite avuncular and noble, for me Six just didn’t have any positive points to hang onto.

Given Capaldi’s era as a fan I can see him being more like Pertwee than Colin. Much as I love Smith I am looking forward to a different direction.

Allyn, I never considered that Nine and Five were similar before, but what you say makes a lot of sense. I still like the “Coward” line, because of the context, he isn’t so much saying he’s a coward as he won’t commit genocide…and actually maybe he didn’t, maybe it was Hurt? Nine’s comment about “Coward, every time.” Might make more sense in that context.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote