View Single Post
Old August 21 2013, 10:33 PM   #259
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back?

DFScott wrote: View Post
But you and I have to invent such a backstory for ourselves, which we could just as easily have done without the help of the movie. (For my own part, while I was out it, I'd have toned down the lighting just to save my eyes from the strain.)
I don't know about you, but I've been inventing backstory and reading others inventions for these characters for near forty-years now.

Star Trek is what it is and I find it hypocritical to blame Abrams and Company for following the general template that was laid down by Roddenberry and Company nearly fifty-years ago. So many of the details seem to have come from fanon and the novels and not the source material. "Keep it Vague", seemed to be the slogan of TOS (that is one of its charms, there is a large canvas for the imagination) and, honestly, I'm not sure we learned anymore about the characters in seventy-nine episodes than we did in the two Abrams films.