View Single Post
Old August 21 2013, 07:29 PM   #25
PKerr
Rear Admiral

Re: Kinect 2.0 not requiered...

MacLeod wrote: View Post
PKerr wrote: View Post
Timby wrote: View Post

Yes, I am, because I'm looking at it from a business perspective, not a consumer viewpoint.

Microsoft put millions upon millions of dollars towards developing Kinect 2.0, and manufacturing the peripheral is prohibitively expensive. To not have it packed into every box is financial suicide, because the Kinect will then be DOA (just as essentially every other optional peripheral has been throughout history) and Microsoft then would have to look at writing off a lot of money as a sunk cost. Fifteen years ago, the company might have been willing to do that (heck, that was the strategy with the original Xbox, which hemorrhaged money), but 2013 Microsoft? Not going to happen. That kind of write-off is the stuff that makes shareholders and board members start calling for heads to roll.
And to me it financial suicide to do so, you have to offer your consumers choices.

Tell me something, would you spend more on a car from a dealer that was fully loaded with a bunch of stuff you would never use or would you go across the street and get exactly what you wanted for the price you want to pay?

I also hear the argument about Kinect failing if it's not shipped with the system, I got news for you, just because there is one in every box doesn't mean Devs will use it, it's a gimmick, nothing more.

Tell me this, if Kinect was so great how come it's attach rate was abysmal?
The most popular game sold less than 3 million copies, for having 20+ million units out that that is pretty poor.
Most titles barley broke 100k in units sold, Go to VG charts and punch in any Kinect title, see for yourself.
If the thing was so great it would be like giving away free ice-cream on a hot summer day, practically everyone would want it but ya know what? they don't.
But what if you wanted something that only came with that model and no other. Like say an exclusive game that will never be availble on other console. What do you do then?

You have two options decide you can do without it or get the one you want even if it comes with something you don't want right now?

Can you say for certain if the next gen consoles last as long as the currant gen consoles that you will NEVER EVER want to use a certain feature that it has?
I'd be in the do without crowd, if Microsoft wants my money then they will accommodate me if they don't I'll find someone that will, in this case Sony does perfectly.

Here's the thing, I love playing video games but I'm not going to DIIEEE if I can't play something, I'll just find something I can play or find another interest.
PKerr is offline   Reply With Quote