View Single Post
Old August 21 2013, 03:46 PM   #80
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Re: The Reality of Star Trek

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Gene Roddenberry (who also didn't understand the symbolic meaning of Eucharist and assumed this to be a cannibalistic ritual).
I guess you never heard of sarcasm.

That used to be my interpretation of events, too, but after taking a bite from the "apple" the protagonists had reached a higher level of consciousness and therefore had to face a test of character - and failed.
And if he hadn't tasted the God-forbidden knowledge, then he would have never reached the "higher level of consciousness". Which means God never wanted us to achieve full sentience. (Or he wanted that, and used reverse psychology to fool a dumb ape into a human being. Which is kinda idiotic.)

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Ridiculous conceptions like "chief atheist" aside, that's exactly the point.
Isn't Mr. Dawkins the prominent spokesperson of Atheism?
No such thing. He's a somehow famous scientist and scientific writer who sometimes speak against religion. Dawkins is no more "chief atheist" than Christopher Hitchens, George Carlin, Voltaire, Epicurus, or any number of smart, opinionated thinkers through history. Atheism is not an organized religion.

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
The Christian message is "treat others as you would like to be treated": the idea of people having different wants or needs is out of question. (...)
The humanist message, on the other hand, is: treat others as they want to be treated.
I'm sorry, I don't see the essential difference
I know. That's the point.

Last edited by iguana_tonante; August 21 2013 at 03:59 PM.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote