View Single Post
Old August 21 2013, 10:51 AM   #78
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Re: The Reality of Star Trek

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Why did God kick Adam, Eve and the Snake out of paradise? Whether you interpret the text literal, as a metaphor or an analogy, the decisive essence remains: Because he didn't want to be in the company of people that were unwilling to assume responsibility for their actions, and, worse, had no problem to see somebody else suffer for their mistakes.
Then God must have a hard time living with himself, since by that account he created faulty humans, and then blamed them for his own mistakes.
Correct quote from Gene Roddenberry (who also didn't understand the symbolic meaning of Eucharist and assumed this to be a cannibalistic ritual).

That used to be my interpretation of events, too, but after taking a bite from the "apple" the protagonists had reached a higher level of consciousness and therefore had to face a test of character - and failed.

Since you would apparently criticize God if he had brainwashed / reprogrammed the protagonists (which apparently had free will) he instead send the protagonists into the world to learn (the meaning of life, IMHO), hoping they become able to fix this appalling character flaw (the other one, IMHO) which brings us to

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
"Do to others as you would have them do to you" (Luke 6:31)
(I think it's fair to say that nobody wants to be blamed or held accountable for things she or he didn't do?)

Ridiculous conceptions like "chief atheist" aside, that's exactly the point.
Isn't Mr. Dawkins the prominent spokesperson of Atheism?

The Christian message is "treat others as you would like to be treated": the idea of people having different wants or needs is out of question. Your values are everybody's values, and if people don't follow them, then they are actively rejecting your values, instead of simply following their own. Your religion is the solid centre of the universe, and everybody moves in relation to it: towards, against, or around it. You want to be a good Christian, so everybody must want to be a good Christian. I mean, who wouldn't want that, right? Wrong.

The humanist message, on the other hand, is: treat others as they want to be treated. Take an interest in people. Allow for differences. Be kind, but don't be overbearing. Treat them with respect. Don't ever think you know what people want or need. Or, more succinctly, "don't be a douche".
I'm sorry, I don't see the essential difference and why you are trying to make something that's easy to understand and grasp into something unnecessarily complicated (apparently, neither did Mr. Dawkins see the need for that ).

For me it's the essential content that matters and not the wrapping paper (i.e. words). YMMV

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote