View Single Post
Old August 21 2013, 01:01 AM   #99
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Re: Oberth Class the missing link between Enterprise and Reliant

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
The debatable thing here is "Vulcan" long-range shuttle, "Spock's long-range shuttle" may have been more appropriate. The Official TMP blueprints do not suggest this to be an exclusive Vulcan design, but they say "Class: Vulcan" (Vulcan Class - what's up with that ? )
I've always thought that the shuttle was of Vulcan registry - but there's nothing precluding that it was designed by a Vulcan firm. I believe Jackill chose to interpret it this way. It's worth consideration that it was an idea of Mr. Probert that the refit Enterprise might carry similarly designed shuttlecrafts.

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
I don't know. As you just demonstrated yourself with the SS Vico and the contrast between monitor display and model, the departments couldn't even make up their mind what size the ship should have, mind put it at a reliable scale with other ships to draw useful conclusions from.

The starting point would be Star Trek III and the suggested overall length of 120 meters, IMHO. Based on that what would be the deck height in your VFX composite?
The height I used there was based on the prior cross section's height workout, and I think there it was based on 12 foot decks. (FWIW, at a length of 120 meters I believe the height works out to around 25 meters.)

This also bears viewing, it appears to be attributed to Mr. Probert.

I believe this was prepared at the start of TNG to orient everyone on the size of established (or in the C's case, planned) starships.

Reverend wrote: View Post
Influence sure, but the way I choose to interpret it, this is from the Federation's second generation of starship design. While most of the early Fed & SF ships would still be mostly designed built by the individual member worlds just to keep up the numbers, the second wave stuff would have started to show increased hybridization both in terms of technology and aesthetics. Later designs would be increasingly homogenized, but in this transitional phase you could still see strong a cultural aesthetic at play.
I dig it. So by movie or 24th century era, you see truly homogenous designs, or sooner?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote