View Single Post
Old August 20 2013, 10:04 PM   #95
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Re: Oberth Class the missing link between Enterprise and Reliant

Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post
Praetor wrote: View Post
Should we also consider the wrecked Vico while we're at it? We know it to be a separate model, but perhaps there is some merit.

We definitely should, since that appears to show a four-deck saucer section that would, in more ways than one, be ALOT more consistent with both the window placement and the act that those shuttle bay doors have to be large enough to accommodate actual shuttlecraft (which are somewhat taller than a full deck anyway) and still leave some clearance to fly in and out.

So a four-deck saucer, two-deck dome, just going by the damage cutaway.
What's amusing to me is that the cutaway diagram from the same episode directly contradicts the model. See here. Two decks in the saucer.

I do think scaling along these lines and seeing what length it yields is a worthwhile effort, and may take it up this evening.

Timo wrote: View Post
But surely there should be "Vulcan influence" in basically all starship designs anyway?
True.

As for that "four-decker" wreck, I don't quite see the merit of assuming that those fancy openings in the saucer are supposed to accommodate shuttlecraft. They don't look a bit like the Enterprise shuttlebay, and there's no indication the Grissom had shuttles let alone ones operating from those holes.
And as Robert Comsol pointed out, the side notches don't make much sense for shuttlebays, either. Hard to navigate into, those would be.

And the central dome doesn't become a convincing bridge until one scales up the ship to at least four times the "two-decker", 120m size. It's wasted effort IMHO when we could just as well assume the bridge is sunken deep inside the saucer.
Also true.

Actually, FWIW, "Hero Worship" and "The Naked Now" both suggest the bridge is actually at the forward edge of the saucer, with one vertical wall bordering on empty space.
I think Reverend was trying to mitigate that by having there be a second brdige at the forward end of the pod.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote