View Single Post
Old August 20 2013, 05:39 PM   #92
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Re: Oberth Class the missing link between Enterprise and Reliant

Reverend, my good cleric, thanks for dropping by! Indeed your works have stood the test of time. Thanks for sharing that dedication plaque too. Mayweather, eh?

Reverend wrote: View Post
Not sure what else I can add to the discussion beyond posting a link to the old schematic thread. Suffice to say I've always worked from the presumption that the Oberth was a late 22nd century design (hence the log reg) and was heavily influenced by Vulcan design aesthetics (hence the unique look.)
I think Vulcan involvement makes all kinds of sense considering it is a science ship. What do others think about this, and the 22nd century notion?

I don't think I ever totally settled on a size for the thing, but I'm pretty sure it was in the 180/200m ballpark.
I didn't remember she ended up so big... that certainly ends up in the "mid-size" range to me.

IIRC I came the the opinion that the model makers intended it to be a lot bigger (by a factor of at least 2) than what the official length ended up being.
I'd agree with you on that too, again going back to the windows particularly on the bridge dome.

Timo wrote: View Post
My issue with making it a primary impulse engine would be that it would seem to not be along the center of mass...
Well, impulse engines never are. Unless one fine-tunes the mass of the nacelles, the one element that can be assumed to noticeably differ in density from the rest of the ship.
Fair enough.

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Fascinating suggestion! But after Praetor posted this script excerpt - "A mid-sized Federation Science Vessel approaching at impulse power." - it seems to suggest somewhat that what we saw was the "impulse power". (Well, should the "mid-size" remark require a salt shaker, this might also apply to the rest of this line. )
At least that it was at impulse power, and therefore her tailpipe was working.

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
I see you have superimposed some lines on the VFX shot to suggest conjectural deck levels.

How tall do you estimate each deck and what were to happen if you allocated some more space at the bottom for antigrav and other components necessary for atmospheric flight and touchdown while still maintaining an equal height deck level for the remaining interior space?
Well, if we wanted to we could take an approach similar to Excelsior and try to visually scale it based on what we know of its size relative to other vessels, and go from there. For the image above, I basically just placed the decks were they were before. Reverend might elaborate on how he arrived at the deck placements he used - I think I pretty much based mine on his. I say I think because it's been a while.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote