Kick-Ass 2 - free admission
Five Easy Pieces - free admission
Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters 2D - free admission
Jobs - free admission
Paranoia - free admission
Lee Daniels' The Butler - free admission
We're the Millers - free admission
Blue Jasmine - free admission

I went over to the Ritz Sunday with a plan to see four movies, but wound up sittin' through just the first one. FEP was the Karen Black memorial screenin', and the movie was just so damn slow, I couldn't stay awake for it.

When it ended, my whole mood was kinda ruined, so I turned in my three other tickets so they could be sold to payin' customers, and left.

Did a four-movie marathon at the new Lakeline location yesterday.

The Percy Jackson sequel (the 275th "new to me" movie of the year) was alright, not great. Nathan Fillion's role is almost completely in the trailer, which kinda sucked, and Anthony Stewart Head takes over for Pierce Brosnan. Stanley Tucci got a couple of good lines...and while I imagine a couple of the sequences would look pretty cool in 3D, I'm glad the Drafthouse didn't have it as an option, since the bulk of the climax takes place at night, or in a cave, which would be really, really dark with the glasses on.

Ashton Kutcher did a really good job as Steve Jobs in the biopic that focusses on the foundin' of Apple Computers in the late '70s/early '80s. And while it tells you a lot about the business, there seems to be very little about the man.

I still can't figure out how ya such a great roster of genre actors in a movie and it still be duller than dirty dishwater...Paranoia sucked all kinds of ass.

And the last one of the night was the "based on a true story" The Butler. Oscar bait, obviously, and it completely glossed over service durin' the Ford & Carter administrations, since there didn't seem to be a way to tie it in with the civil rights movement/actions of the butler's oldest son, who went from pacifist to Black Panther in just over a decade. Forest Whitaker carries the movie through the decades, and the supportin' cast was really good, too, though aside from John Cusack's Nixon & James Marsden's JFK, seems to me that most every other president was a cameo.

Still gotta see We're the Millers & Blue Jasmine in the next couple of days, before this weekend's big releases open on Thursday night.

- edit, to add -

Came into work early to see a couple of movies this afternoon.

WtM was actually pretty funny, enjoyed it quite a bit. And the bloopers at the end were good, too.

BJ wasn't as good, but still an interestin' look at a woman who changes the details of her life to suit what she wants it to be instead of what it actually is....yeah. Good movie, but the stoner-ish comedy was better.

Last edited by od0_ital; August 21 2013 at 12:56 AM.
od0_ital is offline   Reply With Quote