View Single Post
Old August 20 2013, 12:44 PM   #200
ComicGuy89
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back?

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Timewalker wrote: View Post
Okay... first of all, it's not just the FACT that realSpock and realUhura never went beyond mild flirtation - it's a FACT that Vulcan society in general didn't go in for public displays of affection such as those done by nuSpock and nuUhura. I find it very hard to believe that the Abramsverse Vulcans would be into it, either. Spock grew up in a "don't show your emotions in public and preferably not in private, either" culture - so why is he acting not only un-Vulcan, but also unprofessionally as a Starfleet officer? Saying "it's a reboot" just doesn't excuse it. That's not Spock. It's an actor we're expected to think is Spock and react to as though he's Spock, but that character is NOT authentically Spock.
You mean their ONE public kiss on the transporter pad that came AFTER Spock's breakdown and admission to his father that he has emotions and cannot control them?

Although he got there a very different way, Old Spock basically went though the same thing in TMP, realizing what folly an emotionless and purely logical life truly is. We then got a Spock who smiled a teeny bit in WoK, who wasn't afraid to tell Kirk what he meant to him. A Spock who laughed at the end of STIV and told Starfleet to "Go to hell" at the end of STVI.

What you see as "characterization rape," I see as personal growth.
That's right. I thought a key lesson for Spock in the 2009 movie was how emotions and their expression were not necessarily a bad thing, and it was his refusal to admit that that nearly doomed Earth. Before he learned that lesson (during the scene with his father), I was under the impression that his relationship with Uhura was very private. Remember, Spock is not necessarily an exemplar of Vulcan behaviour: in the very same film, he rejected the Vulcan Science Academy even though this was unprecedented in Vulcan history.

And as far as I know, there isn't a prohibition on romance between Starfleet officers, an instance that comes to mind is Balance of Terror, where officer Angela was engaged to her commanding officer Tomlinson. There are also numerous romantic relationships between other main characters like Jadzia and Worf, Torres and Paris, Riker and Troi, etc.

Last edited by ComicGuy89; August 20 2013 at 01:18 PM.
ComicGuy89 is offline   Reply With Quote