View Single Post
Old August 19 2013, 08:47 PM   #764
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

Re: Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I do have probably my first disappointment about this set though. One of the things I was most looking forward to seeing was the Cosmic String from The Loss. Truthfully, it looked a lot more bland than what I would have liked. I understand maybe it was how it was filmed and Modern Video is better than HTV, but I couldn't help but think that if CBS Digital did that effect, we would have seen something along the lines of the Crystaline Entity from season 1. Kind of wish they had remastered that effect better.
Since, as you say, the cosmic string effect in this episode is comprised of filmed elements (shooting liquid nitrogen against black velvet, I believe -- that trick was used a lot for space anomalies), I'm not sure it would have ended up looking much different in CBS-D hands, since their mantra is that if it exists on film, they use it. The crystalline entity had to be recreated, of course, because there was no high-quality source... the original CGI only existed on standard definition analog tape and simply didn't hold up in resolution or even aesthetically. It sort of demanded to be re-done.