View Single Post
Old August 19 2013, 08:32 PM   #30
Christopher
Writer

Re: TNG Cold Equations Book 2, Silent Wpns Nic-Picks -- SPOILERS

Yes, I've heard from people who don't like the character, and I've heard from people who love the character. And that's perfectly fine with me. In my experience, anything that evokes a strongly positive reaction in some people is bound to evoke a strongly negative reaction in others. The only way to offend no one is to delight no one, to produce something so bland that it inspires no particular emotion of any kind. So I'm glad I created a character that evokes strong reactions.

But the point is that the reason you dislike the character is not that she's doing a variety of jobs. She's far from the first character to do so. Rather, it's the other way around: you dislike the fact that she's doing a variety of jobs because you dislike the character. That's just the way our minds work: when we dislike someone or something, we react negatively to things about them that we'd be fine with in someone/something we did like. It's guilt by association.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote