View Single Post
Old August 19 2013, 06:15 PM   #269
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Re: Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Hopefully the Thing will be done with mocap and CGI this time.

And hopefully the writing will actually be better, of course.
By 'better', you mean dark, and as for the main characters, they will be dysfunctional as heck.

Shazam! wrote: View Post
I wish they'd cast age appropriate actors. Wasn't Johnny Storm, like 16 or something when became the Torch? I know they often play younger but it's rarely believable. A 28 year old high school attending Spider-Man is the worst example of this.
Johnny Storm had graduated high school and was in his mid-to late teens/early 20s by the time the events that changed him into the Torch had happened.

I'll agree with you about the casting of age appropriate actors, though-one of the things about Supergirl that bugs me is that Warners has blown it repeatedly when it comes to getting a film with her off of the ground, and has missed chances to cast a teenager as Supergirl (she should be at least 15-16 years of age!) All of the good actresses that could have played her (in particular, one young lady and her sister that's done great work) have all aged out of the role or won't able to be in said movie in time (although they can always launch a casting call for one). Anyhoo, Johnny's cast, and that's all that matters.

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
I am entirely serious. And I agree that it was a piece of crap. But more important that what it did wrong, is what it did right. The character dynamics and interactions between Reed and Sue and Reed and Doom, for one. The Doom in Corman's movie is insanely, gloriously over the top, as Doom should be. Story's Doom was just another corrupt businessman. Corman's FF felt more like a family story than, er, Story's. Story got most of that important stuff wrong.
Story and the scrpitwriters didn't get anything wrong other than people didn't like it for some reason (Johnny and Ben still bicker, Ben's a hotheaded angry guy, Johnny's a show-off-all just like in the original comics. And having Doom be a businessman like Lex Luthor was a great touch-there's only so much one can get out of the 'evil scientist who wants to take over the world' trope.

As well, having Sue be a scientist was a similar masterstroke that made the character a hell of a lot more better and relevant than her being an actress who just decides to tag along on her boyfriend's/fiancé's spaceflight (although that's taken from Ultimate Fantastic Four, and the Sue being the fiancée of Doom is a shout-out to her having a secret relationship with him in the comics of the time.)

All told, for me, I hope that this movie's as good as the Story movies.

Last edited by Shaka Zulu; August 19 2013 at 06:51 PM.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote