View Single Post
Old August 19 2013, 10:50 AM   #4587
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

suarezguy wrote: View Post
He seemed overly cavalier about his decision compared to how others regarded the Prime Directive and it didn't make sense that Spock wouldn't have objected, let alone to the point of playing the major role, and then not try to defend the decision later.
You think Spock would happily a planet full of innocents die? Spock didn't think Kirk would cover up the mission.
There's a difference between reusing a story and thematic idea and blatantly trying to remake much of a story; I thought Enterprise "Terra Nova" and Nemesis were much too close to past works and thus some of my least favorite (although "Friendship One" was very recent and bad to begin with).

As for the Eve in underwear scene, it seemed pointless but worse because I didn't like Kirk ignoring her telling him to turn around; the original Kirk would never do that but it seemed, unfortunately, like only a small stretch for Abrams version.
Take a look at the nasty red marks Shatner's Grabby Kirk left on Reyna's arms in "Requiem for Muthuselah" - Pine's Kirk would never do something like that.
Carcazoid wrote: View Post
STAR TREK IS: Space opera, action and adventure, playing fast and loose with real science to make it fit whatever serves the plot. Character chemistry, interaction, making the story play well onscreen. Characters are the focus.
Did you find it believable that Uhura would love Spock but be so unaccepting, almost not even understanding, about his reserved, logical nature
She was bothered by his willingness to put himself in danger and his post-Vulcan lack of communication, not his Vulcan nature. As was explained on the ride to Kronos.
or that Spock wouldn't alert Kirk about Carol's identity earlier (or that he would contact his alternate self from the bridge)?
Yes and yes.