View Single Post
Old August 18 2013, 06:12 PM   #143
stcanada29
Lieutenant

Re: New Book about TOS: These Are The Voyages

Maurice wrote: View Post
This is not a trivial argument. It's about the principle of the thing.

Frankly, given this kind of stuff, I wouldn't blame the Star Trek History site if it stopped posting material entirely. Why do the hard work of restoring these photos if someone can just swipe them and use them in a commercial product, no matter if it's going to make a profit or not. You just don't TAKE the hard work done by other people and use it as you see fit.

And that's my last post in this topic as I'm through wasting time with the apologists here who brush this off.
You are SO wrong about this. As was said, startrekhistory.com does NOT own these images and was relying on fair use laws to show them on their site. So this publisher is completely entitled to behave the same way. Restoring a photo to its original appearance in the '60s doesn't give anybody special ownership rights; no doubt the book editors / photography team also worked with the pics in PhotoShop - if you read some of the Amazon comments. That could be just as hard work. And it's obvious to most people that putting tiny black and white photos in the book is hardly exploiting them.