View Single Post
Old August 18 2013, 03:20 PM   #558
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Re: MLB Season Discussion - 2013

R. Star wrote: View Post
Moral of the story: Let the players go through arbitration negotiations even after a good year.
This really isn't true in many cases. When a player is absolutely lights-out, like Giancarlo Stanton or Albert Pujols, then, yes, you absolutely get a long-term deal in place, because otherwise you're going to get taken to the cleaners as soon as the player is arb-eligible.

The problem with the Castro deal was that a ten-second look at his peripherals would have told you that his offense is entirely BABIP-dependent, and that combined with his allergy to walks means that he's barely league-average. Now that his BABIP has fallen back down to a reasonable level (.292, last I checked), he's been exposed. That 71 OPS+ makes me physically ill every time I compare that to his contract.

I said it years ago and I'll say it again: Hendry was a goddamned moron for not selling high on him. It's not like every other previously "untouchable" Cubs prospect (Vitters, Stewart, Patterson, Pie) didn't flame out into total dogshit.