View Single Post
Old August 18 2013, 01:06 PM   #39
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Re: TOS Botany Lab = "Outdoor" Recreation Area?

TIN_MAN wrote: View Post
They can all be found at trekcore, the one I'm thinking of is the perspective or elevation view of the round rec room with the caption "recreation room".
I see. But that sketch only shows the "recreation room" with a water sprinkling fountain. You seemed to suggest there was a reference to the Herbarium.

In addition to the "large recreation area" which undoubtedly referred to the set under discussion, TMoST also mentions an "exotic entertainment center" and other things besides, which I take to be interconnected facilities, or at least side by side?
It is my understanding that "exotic entertainment center" referred to the holoroom, we finally saw in TAS.

And yes, this "Herbarium" apparently had the round fountain/planter thingy removed, although it's hard to tell since the camera angles are so tight?
I can't help but to look at the ceiling cross-beams and instantly notice that the fountain/planter doesn't connect there because it's missing.

I suppose since the deleted scene in EoT includes a suggestion that there are two identical round rooms side by side, we could fudge and say one is the rec room and one is the herbarium, thereby salvaging at least the spirit of MJ's intent if not the literal execution?
That was my original idea, too, but the missing fountain-planter of the Herbarium, which is there in the "mirror shots" in both ET and CL, suggests differently.

I think to salvage the spirit of MJ we should consider the possibility that the Herbarium circular room from TB instead connects to the living plants botany section featured in "The Man Trap". YMMV.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote