View Single Post
Old August 17 2013, 05:07 PM   #43
thumbtack
Commodore

Re: If they made a 25th century TV series, would you watch it?

A spinoff, by definition, is more of the same. Only the names and faces are different. Only half-hearted cosmetic change is permitted, so as not to offend fans of the original. Unfortunately, by the time you get to your third or fourth spinoff, fans of the original are bored out of their minds. A reboot, at least, makes some effort to shake out the cobwebs and get the engine revving again.

Viper78 wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Viper78 wrote: View Post
I think the reason Enterprise struggled was that people wanted to go further into the future rather than have a prequel to the TOS.
Enterprise struggled because it wasn't very good. It started out with twelve-million viewers and was at less than two million a week when the series ended.
Can't disagree with the viewing figures which is a shame as I thought it got better in the 3rd, 4th series. DS9 & Voyager also took a few seasons to really get going.

Les Moonves said the fourth season nosedived in the ratings because it was "hip deep in canon". I'm not anticipating a series devoted to the old canon from him. Actually, I'm not anticipating a series at all.