View Single Post
Old August 17 2013, 02:42 AM   #544
Timby
I AM the League of Mallows...

Re: MLB Season Discussion - 2013

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
You can't fire an entire team, though.
No, but you can fire the guy who's systematically turned it from a pennant contender to an utter joke over the past several years.

Manuel's basically blameless for this year and last, given the shitstorm rosters he's been given. Ben fuckin' Revere and Michael Young are not exactly valuable pieces, and the Phillies' roster and farm system are so brutal that they're an 85 - 90-loss team for probably the next two years at least -- they need a shortstop, third baseman, first baseman, center fielder, right fielder, catcher, two starters and three bullpen arms, essentially.

I love the criticisms that Manuel didn't create enough of a "clubhouse presence." How is that determined? Number of pizzas ordered? Talking in the third person? Expensive contracts? And Rube couldn't even sack up and actually call it a firing. Just shameful.

Most galling is that tonight was the night the Phillies were going to honor Manuel for winning his 1,000th game as the team's manager. Instead, nope, clean out your office. In the words of Star-Kist ... sorry, Charlie.

Edit: Fun fact: Chip Kelly has not coached a regular-season game in the NFL and is already the second-longest-tenured head coach in Philadelphia.