View Single Post
Old August 17 2013, 01:10 AM   #424
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen In 2013

139. Limitless (Unrated Extended Cut) (✩✩✩✩) - Blu-ray - I saw this movie in the theatre, but I'm reviewing it now because I have the unrated extended cut on blu-ray. I'm told that there are several additions here and there, but the only thing that stood out was an extra sex scene that I don't believe was in the theatrical cut. There was also an alternate ending. Anyway, as someone who's always been fascinated with the development of the mind, I loved this movie. And what I especially loved was that it's not a cliched story about the pitfalls of gaining power. If you haven't seen it, do so.

140. Charly (✩✩✩✩) - Download - A 1968 movie based on the novel Flowers for Algernon about a mentally and emotionally arrested man who volunteers to undergo an experimental treatment that makes him smarter. Stars Cliff Robertson. After watching the movie, I read that Robertson got an academy award for best actor for this part and I think he deserved it. His progression from slow child-like man to genius was well performed. Another thing I liked about the movie was how it presented sexuality. With a lead actress (Claire Bloom) who was attractive, the right shots and some creative montage work, it got its point across in a wink-wink, nudge, nidge manner quite well. Apparently Robertson wrote a sequel, but that never got made. As for the title, I wonder if it's supposed to be a misspelling of "Charlie". The character's name in the credits does read "Charly", but I still wonder.

141. Flowers for Algernon (✩✩✩) - Download - A 2000 TV movie remake of Charly starring Matthew Modine. A great job by Modine, but as a TV movie, it's pretty sentimental and sanitized. Still, it's a nice compliment to Charly. If you're wondering who Algernon is, it's the experimental mouse that became Charlie's friend.

What did I learn from these three movies? That getting smarter also gets you laid.

Also, here's a fun fact… Matthew Modine and Cliff Robertson were in a movie together called Wind.

142. Wind (✩✩✩) - Netflix - The epic 1992 Matthew Modine vehicle about sailing. Also starred Jennifer Grey. It tried to be grand and intense and it showed. Not great, but not bad either. I don't have much else to say about it, I just felt like watching it after Charly and Flowers for Algernon.

143. Kick-Ass 2 (✩✩✩) - Theatre - My review is here. Chloe Moretz stole the show and Christopher Mintz-Plasse was fantastic. Those two are reasons to watch the movie.

Theatre: 22
Blu-ray: 10
DVD: 21
Netflix: 4
Live TV: 17
Download: 66
YouTube: 3

Last edited by Agent Richard07; August 17 2013 at 03:47 AM.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote