View Single Post
Old August 16 2013, 08:36 PM   #45
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Re: What do we know about the years between ST5 and ST6?

Timo wrote: View Post
Spock even commends her for the very thing in "Who Mourns for Adonais", in connection with a difficult bypass job:

"I can think no one better equipped to handle it, Miss Uhura. Please proceed."
No such praise for her oral/aural skills, and no begging for such. Spock probably isn't emotionally compromised in "Who Mourns", either, so we can take his word for it that Uhura Prime can hold a mean soldering iron.
Thanks, Timo, that was precisely the instance I was trying to recall!

Timo wrote: View Post
Interestingly, Uhura Prime wore command gold for a few episodes, perhaps suggesting career ambitions cut short by Kirk reshuffling his crew after the early casualties and before the first proper starbase visit. nuUhura started out with red, but that doesn't mean she'd be devoid of such ambitions... We don't know what she used to wear back in her Cadet days, and many a command officer has been witnessed doing a stint in the "services" colors soon after graduation.
Excellent point. The books have her become a chief muckety muck of Starfleet Intelligence later on, so there's that. And to wit, even though Sulu was on the command track, he did know how to fly the ship and if I recall correctly knew a thing or two about repairs too. It makes sense that Uhura, with ship's communications being something of a command and control system, would be "able" to wear Gold.

Perhaps she merely tried to keep a low profile? Section 31 surely wouldn't want to call attention to their agents. Then again, she wore that darn minidress pretty well.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote