View Single Post
Old August 16 2013, 05:06 PM   #88
alchemist
Commander

Re: New Book about TOS: These Are The Voyages

Thanks very much for the support -- it's appreciated and we're humbled by it.

The above posts nail the situation on the head, and I don't have much more to add. I do want to say though that after we saw our images on their Facebook page -- but before the first book was sent to the printer -- we exchanged emails with the publisher and alerted him. Stepwise, he went through a series of arguments with us (our comments to his arguments are in parentheses in the below):

1. There were a lot of film trims so no doubt other individuals have the same or similar ones. (We told him that our digital fingerprints from the restoration process are on the pictures on their Facebook page and we could recognize them.)

2. We got the majority of the pictures from Gurian so your beef is with him, if there is one. (This is "insulation.")

3. These types of pictures are in the public domain and they may be used freely. (Really? Freely? Every picture on our site that I've contributed has come from a film trim or photo that I've purchased, some for $$ each. Additionally, our site clearly states that we own the digital restorations of the trim images, in exchange for the many hours scanning and retouching them to remove scratches, blemishes, etc.)

At this point in the dialogue, he told us he would contact Gurian and see if any of the pictures came from others. If so, he would remove them. I volunteered to assist him with the identification effort, and, at that point, he stopped communicating. And our pictures (and the pictures from birdofthegalaxy) continue to be posted on their Facebook page.

Needless to say, we're pretty unhappy with all of this. I guess no good deed goes unpunished, as the saying goes.

Thanks again.

Last edited by T'Devilish; January 13 2014 at 11:59 PM.